Friday, March 27, 2009

Supervision Assessment

1. What are your strengths that are most helpful to staff (teachers)?

The strengths that I have that are most helpful to staff are empathy, compassion, equality, and kindness. I believe in equality for all and am a strong advocate for it. No one should be treated differently. As a manager I know that there can be no favorites if the teachers are all qualified the same they should have the same duties if they so desire them. I would take the time to listen and emphasis with the staff for what I may think is no big deal may be a big deal to the staff. Having empathy with the staff lets them know that I listen to them and they are being heard. Sometimes all someone wants you to do is listen to them and allow their voice or opinion to be heard. Showing kindness to the staff builds up staff morale no one wants to work for someone who is mean to them. I try to treat others as I would want to be treated. By showing my compassion for the job that I do is a great boost to others they see that they are not alone in the efforts to do their job. You work best when you are working at a job that you love rather than somewhere you do not like.

2. What additional skills would you like to gain?

I would like to gain courage and more confidence. I have courage but I do not feel that I have enough to be a strong leader. I often second guess myself thinking that what I do is not good enough when it is or, I don't follow through because I am afraid of failure. When if I don't try I would never know if it is a sucess or a failure. Therefore I need to have more confidence in myself for how can I ask my staff or the children I work with to have confidence and I don't have it myself. Staff need confience to know that they are being lead by a strong confident person if not some will walk all over you.

6 comments:

  1. You made a great point to treat all equally.You want your staff to be comfortable with what they do and how they do it.No one should feel that one is doing better than another.Yes, of course you want to treat your staff with respect and have them happy to come to work, because how you treat them will reflect on their performance with co-workers, children,and parents. I do believe you not having the confidence you need will affect your staff and your business.You have children, parents, and staff who depend and look up to you. So do not be afraid of failure, always remember no one or nothing is perfect, and mistakes happen. Just look at it as a stepping stone to do it better the next time. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tonya
    Your core values are what a good director needs to run a smooth and welcoming center. Your strength to be an effective listener and allowing staff to voice their opinions or concerns is a gift. Staff members need to be heard and feel appreciated, and by you having the strength to be a good listener, there is no question your staff will be working in harmony.
    Remember that no matter what we decide as directors, their will be always someone calling us mean. After taking in consideration, their concerns and opinions, as directors we have the final decision. Not all staff will be happy but as a director the children, families and the center come first.
    I have read your previous blogs and you show lots confidence. Your leadership skills will develop more opportunities and the lots of responsibility to run the center. Don't second guess yourself or be afraid of failure . Remember the book "The Day You Were Born"? The kid came to the world knowing nothing but there was lots of loving people waiting for the kid. He was not afraid or second guessing himself. You should not either. There is lots of people around you who love you and believe in you, and you need to be a strong. Mentor for future generations of teachers and the children that you have in the center.
    It's true the staff needs someone strong, don't let them see you sweat or overwhelm yourself with the responsibilities and decisions you need to make. After all you as a director you will have the final decision.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Possessing the ability to be empathetic is very important as a Director. As the Director you must understand that the families you serve are all different. With this understanding you will be able to communicate and work well with the staff, the children and their families. Being empathetic towards others creates an atmosphere full of trust, communication, and respect. As a result you will work at your best and enjoy your work because you genuinely care for people.

    Most great leaders have had doubt about their ability at some point. I think the fact that your strength is being empathetic towards others is very courageous. Our world is filled with people who simply don’t care for anyone but self. As you begin to experience more opportunities as a leader you will gain confidence in every area related to being a director. You can never be afraid to fail. Failure is a part of success. Anyone who has ever gained great success in this world has failed miserable on more than one occasion. Failure cannot be a determinate for your success as a leader.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tonya,
    I completely agree with being an advocate for your staff and a Director demonstrates that when he or she listens and empathizes with the staff as you have stated. As a leader in any position, it is imperative that staff morale is at a high level because when it is not, it can be sensed within the environment. No one wants to work under hostile and difficult circumstances on a daily basis. That ties hand in hand with treating people with respect and having a belief in equality for all like you stated. You cannot go into a supervising role with a jaded or one-sided point of view. Understanding that everyone counts and that no one is alone, like you said, should serve as a great morale booster in any work setting.
    The fact that you were so up front with admitting that you don't have enough courage to be a strong leader, shows courage on your part to me. It does take someone who will have the ability to stand up for others, know when to do what is right for the majority and implement things that assist everyone in some way or another. If the staff feel they are being led by a confident director, there is no question in my mind that they will develop confidence in themselves and it will become contagious througout the work place.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really liked the fact you listed empathy as one of your strenghts. A director has to be able to deal with people and understand what they are going through, which requires empathy. With time, you will feel more comfortable with what yo are doing and will gain more confidence. Good luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I find that when we want to make sure that we do everything right we tend to second guess ourselves, because we are always looking at what could've been done better. I have had to learn that it is okay to take risks. Although as a director it is hard to please everyone, when your goal is always to do right by the children, and your employees even the tough decisions are easier to deal with

    ReplyDelete